Saturday, March 3, 2012

Holy Deja Vu.....

March 2nd felt very much like April 27, 2011.

The weather forecast the day before warned everyone of what was to come. I wasn't really convinced that the weather was going to be as bad as they had predicted. I wasn't stressing myself out over the possibility of no power, tornados, or hail. We had plenty f food & essentials for in case we lost power. The neighbor and I decided that we would play it by ear and if we needed to, we would take the kids to my parents house so we could hang out in their basement.

Our day started off with a bang. The hubby left for work & the kids & I got ready for breakfast. The plan for the day was to go to my hair appointment, stop at the grocery store, and then decide if we were going to my parents. That all changed in a heart beat. It wasn't even 9am before the storms started to roll in. The area that my parents live in got hit over & over & over. 

I decided that we wouldn't venture out there because 1 - I didn't want to get out there & the power be out. 2 - One of the main roads to get to their neighborhood was closed. and 3 - The thought of us being stranded out there without either of our husbands & 4 kids under the age of 5 just didn't sound like fun. 

There was about a 2hr break in-between the morning storms & the afternoon storms so the kids & I made a quick trip to WalMart to get some candles, water, & batteries. We were going to get lunch, but every fast food place between WalMart & our house was packed. I filled up the car with gas on the way home......another "just in case". When we made it home, the kids had lunch while I ran 2 quick loads of laundry, ran some dishes, and mopped the floors. Go ahead and laugh, but if we were going to have to bunker down on the kitchen floors, at least they were clean! And, if we had to leave like we did last time, we would have clean clothes to pack! The hubby got home from work just as I was finishing up all of my cleaning. Thank God because the kids were about to drive me insane!!! They were both extremely wild & energetic.......I blame the weather! Ava asked if we woke up with no lights the next day if that meant we get to go to the beach with Emmy...I wish! (we lost power for all of 2 minutes maybe!! thank the lord!)

Our TV stayed on the local news channel. We watched as storm after storm passed through and somehow managed to miss our area. We got VERY lucky this go round with the severe weather. Seriously. We didn't get any rain, lightening, or thunder until after they said there was no longer a threat for severe weather. Thankfully, it only lasted maybe 30 minutes & Grayson slept right through it!! I guess it was around 7pm when things finally quieted down. 

My goal for next week is to make an "Emergency Box" to keep in our laundry room/pantry. I have an idea of what needs to be in one.....it's just getting out there & filling it up!! 

I am so thankful that we made it through the storms yesterday. And that all of our friends also made it through. Living in northern Alabama is quite stressful when it comes to the weather! You never know whats going to happen!!

No comments:

Post a Comment