Friday, August 17, 2012

"playroom" redo {update #1}

I can officially knock 1 1/2 projects off of my list for the kids "playroom" upstairs. I finished their monograms on canvas and got the board almost done to hang their artwork on. 

I say ALMOST done because the board that I ORIGINALLY wanted to do didn't turn out quite the way I had envisioned it to. {okay....NOTHING like what i had envisioned} When I wrote "Masterpieces" on it, in  my head it it looked awesome. Totally not the case when I held it up & actually looked at it. The letters first half of the word were nice & big & fairly even. But, as the word went on, the letters got smaller & smaller & somehow started to angle towards the top of the board. I tried sanding the letters off.....that was a mess. Oh, and, some of the clips i glued on fell off. BUMMER! Needless to say, it was a complete fail in the crafting department. I was ready to toss the board......

My mom gave me the idea to attach some string to the wall & use mini-clothespins to hang up their art. So, we ventured out to Hobby Lobby for some ideas. So, I got some plain wooden knob looking things & the mini-clothespins to paint. I'm still not 100% sure how I'm going to attach the knob thingies on the wall, but I'll figure it out! I plan on using either yarn or some black hemp cord stuff to string between the two knobs. I looked for something to hang above this....but couldn't find anything. 

Then it hit me. At 10:30 last night. I scrounged up some scrapbook paper that I had in my craft drawer & mod podged it onto the crappy looking board. Then, printed out the word "Masterpieces" in a cute font & TRACED it onto the dried board with a sharpie. The outline of the letters was a little sketchy, but gave me a good idea of where all the letters were supposed to be & they were all the same size & lined up neatly! I went over them with a black calligraphy paint pen. And I must say, I really like the way it turned out. Only one problem.........the notch in the back of the board is on the BOTTOM. I totally wrote on it upside-down. Seriously!? So. It looks like I'll be using on the of extra knobs & a little bit of ribbon to hang this sucker up. 


Now, I just need to figure out what color ribbon i want to use to hang it. I'm thinking either black or white. But that can wait until I get the knobs & clothespins done! I'm pretty happy with how everything has turned out so far!! Fingers crossed it all looks as good as I'm imagining it to!!

Hopefully my next crafty post will be of everything up on the wall! Fingers crossed for a cooperative Grayson!!

No comments:

Post a Comment